Tuesday, September 4, 2012

My zinnia experience

I enjoy visiting local garden centers and greenhouses. While on the farm, such spring outings would result in treating myself  to various annuals to fill in  for continuous flowering throughout the summer. Since moving though, my time, energy, and resources have been devoted to establishing trees, shrubs, and perennials, instead of planting and tending to annuals. However, in early 2011, while obtaining seeds for my vegetable garden, I spied a pack of  zinnia seeds. The package displayed a picture of a large beautiful purple flower with a yellow center...minimal cost, drought tolerant, easy care...how could I resist. It was a good decision. They germinated very well, and bloomed profusely. Plus, they were a hummingbird magnet. They were more pink than purple, but still  beautiful large flowers...
 
 
...a must repeat again this year experience. But I goofed! It was a crazy mild winter, and early spring. Over taken with spring fever, I made the mistake of setting them out too soon... :( ...there were only two survivors, plus a volunteer from last year. I resolved to be content with the three plants.
Well,...maybe I wasn't content after all. While checking out an end of season sale at a local greenhouse, when asked if I needed help, I responded..."do you have any tall zinnia plants?" Much to my surprise, she replied that they had eight leftovers. There was no label, but she was sure they were tall and red. She would let me have them for the sale price of six. With such a great price, even though they were root bound it the tiny six pack containers, I didn't have to think twice!

They turned out be a very rich vibrant red...
 
...beautiful to behold at all stages of development...


and a great long lasting cut flower to be enjoyed indoors...
 
I'm enjoying both the pink, (that's not really purple), and the red...but I think I like the red better.
 
 

1 comment: